Most businesses use a reliable VoIP system, which allows them to stay efficient and flexible with management. Yet, there are many issues that companies tend to overlook, with cyberattacks becoming more prevalent. Any business should protect its VoIP system through the best cybersecurity practices. Here at Better World Technology, we’ve identified these common threats and how you can prevent them from doing damage.
The Need for VoIP Protection
Internet reliability is one of the reasons many companies are vulnerable to various security issues. All VoIP systems require stability to utilize their features. It is an issue that’s prevalent in the US, no matter if you’re in Texas, California, or Washington, DC. Here are some of the ways attackers can get into your system through the internet:
● Malware: Attackers install software through the phone which steals information.
● War dialing: An attacker tries to take control of the company’s phone system, providing them entry to the rest of their systems.
● Toll Fraud: Hackers will use VoIP systems to dial expensive international numbers to try and add expenses to the company.
● Phishing: Attackers will try to send disguised messages or emails to try and get company information.
● Denial of Service (DoS): A hacker will try to overload a system, shutting it down and making them incapable of use.
● Call Interception: The attacker will try to redirect calls by controlling the traffic in VoIP systems.
Tips for Boosting VoIP Security
Improving your cybersecurity means optimizing some of the tasks and processes in the company system. It can be as simple as updating current infrastructure or using security tools. The most common ways our customers at BetterWorld use them include:
● Setting up a firewall
● Update passwords combinations
● Restrict international calling if unneeded
● Deactivate the VoIP web interface
● Using a VPN
● Encourage workers to report any suspicious activity
Regaining Control Over Your VoIP Security
VoIP systems are a fantastic alternative to traditional phone lines, and many of our clients use them. BetterWorld has served states like Virginia, New York, Indiana, Nevada, etc. However, there is always the risk of attacks because of their connectivity to the internet. If you’re concerned about your cybersecurity, make sure to prioritize protection.
Take some time to learn more about these threats and the steps you can take to improve your business VoIP system. If you’d like a more detailed plan, contact us to set up a consultation.