Desktop as a Service (DaaS) is a cloud computing offering that enables businesses to deliver cloud-hosted virtual desktops to any device, from anywhere. DaaS solutions provide complete hosted desktops for applications and email securely delivered over the web. They’re simple to buy and easy to manage, with no software for IT to maintain.
How does DaaS work?
DaaS is offered as a subscription service and is multitenant in nature. The backend virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) infrastructure, including the virtual machines that run desktop operating systems, is hosted by a third-party cloud provider. The DaaS provider then streams the virtual desktops to a customer’s end-user devices.
DaaS providers manage the VDI deployment, as well as the maintenance, security, upgrades, data backup, and storage. And the customer manages the applications and desktop images. DaaS is a good choice for organizations that don’t want to invest in and manage their own on-premises VDI.
What’s the difference between VDI and DaaS?
DaaS is VDI, but hosted in the cloud. With VDI, an organization deploys virtual desktops from its own on-premises data centers. In-house IT teams are responsible for deploying the virtual desktops as well as purchasing, managing, and upgrading the infrastructure.
DaaS is essentially the same thing but the infrastructure is cloud-based. Organizations that subscribe to a DaaS offering don’t need to manage their own hardware.
Learn why BetterWorld Technology’s Desktops-as-a-Service is right for your business
With BetterWorld Managed Desktops leveraging the power of Microsoft Azure and Windows 10 in the cloud, there has never been a better time to consider Desktops-as-a-Service.
Employees expect to access their work from anywhere on any device. And companies are looking for a low-cost, simple solution to securely deliver the apps and desktops people need to get their work done. Traditional PC environments are burdened with IT management challenges as simple as employee password resets and as difficult as updating security patches and updates that impact user productivity as well as take up valuable time for IT administrators.
While many customers are turning to virtualizing applications and desktops, the perceived complexity and capital investment have industries looking to a simplified solution that works within an operational expense structure.
DaaS can be a viable solution for customers that like the centralization and standardization of VDI yet are attracted to the simplicity of having a professional organization perform basic desktop management on their behalf. DaaS offers many advantages to IT by simplifying operations and delivering Windows desktops and apps securely to its workforce.
Top benefits of DaaS:
- Flexibility: All employees and contractors can access their applications, desktops, and data from anywhere, keeping them productive, no matter where they work.
- Scalability: Rapidly scale up and down depending on your business needs, whether that’s M&A, staffing temporary workers during peak seasons, managing contractors (developers), or deploying branch offices.
- Business continuity: Without dependence on hardware, you can stay up and running in the event of a natural disaster or any other unforeseen event.
- Cost control: Pay for only what you use through monthly or yearly subscription models. Plus reduce capital expenses and enjoy more predictable operational expenses.
- Security: DaaS provides a secure access point for users and simplifies desktop and app management processes and procedures.